Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Sunday…A Day of Rest…Well, Sort Of

(I just noticed that I didn't get this posted yesterday....too busy) Our day has mostly involved being at the church today. Man…these people really know how to worship. I could see that Heather was a little spooked at the shouting and the raising of hands. This is truly the highest form of Pentecostal that I have ever seen! I am used to it since I have been preaching here for the past two years. But, it can be strange for someone who has never been around people speaking in tongues. During the altar call, a girl came forward and there appeared to be an exorcism going on. We were in the back so it was hard to see what was happening, but there was a whole lot of shrieking going on. There were 15 people who accepted Christ after the second service. It was really a special time. I really enjoy worshipping at this church. The people are so free and they just don’t care who is looking at them and there is no judgment when a person raises his or her hands. After service, we had about two hours before we had to go back. So, we headed to our beloved Internet Café and uploaded our blogs and sat and visited to other people who were in the Café. Justin (the owner who is from Austin) is doing quite well. I think his only issues are with staff showing up on time. The people here really do have a different idea of what time is. When you tell someone to be somewhere at 3:00, it is not unusual at all for some of the folks to show up two hours later. This is tradition…T.I.A. (This is Africa). Heather had a wonderful brownie a la mode while I drank a cup of tea. We have met so many great folks at the Café. A lot of Muzungus (white people) hang out there. I know they love the amenity of a cappuccino/espresso and home made cinnamon rolls. We do! We had the first meeting of the people who want to start the training at Hope For Africa Vocational Training Centre. There was an incredible attendance and we are not going to be able to get all the folks trained right away. The plan is to have two sessions, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. The students will start with Bible Study, English/Business, and then skill training. It is going to be wonderful. The meeting started at 3:00 and we didn’t finish until nearly 7:00. I gave a mini-sermon on Matthew 25: 34-to the end, which is the parable of the goat and the sheep. This is one of my favorite stories because I love it when Jesus says, “When you have done it to the least of these, you have done it unto me.” I used that parable to remind the men and women that they will be required to tithe from their earnings. I think it is important for them to learn the principle of giving as well as the joy of receiving. I think the blessing is greater in the giving than in the giving. As we left the church, we noticed a thunderstom in the distance making its way to town. It was absolutely beautiful! The sky has a different hue here. The grey is a beautiful dark color that meshes dark blues/black/grey and purple. Lightning was striking all around. People were scurrying to their homes and for shelter and the temperature dropped quickly. It was so enjoyable. Before the storm hit, we had the chance to stop and film a dance troupe practicing their African tribal dances. I insisted that we stop the car and I got out and filmed three of their dances. I would have loved to have known the story behind the dances and I will ask before I leave. The dancing is incredible. The movements are precise, jerky and tell great cultural stories. One of the dances was a hunting ritual…it was almost obvious what they boys and girls were portraying. I could have stayed there all evening. I hope the people here never lose this part of their culture. Tomorrow is a big day. We are going to have one-on-one interviews with each of the people who were at the meeting. We have very strict rules that the students have to follow. I’ll attach a copy of some of the documents that we have finished. I think you will like seeing what we have accomplished. Keep us in mind and in your prayers. We are doing well and we are healthy. We leave on Friday and I hope that we stay like this! Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment